Admissions procedure for international Bachelor’s degree programmes
Bases of admission
50 % of the applicants will be admitted on the basis of the entrance examination only and 50 % on the basis of the combined points for previous school performance and the entrance examination. If study places become available later, applicants on the waiting list will be admitted in the order indicated by their admission points. For more information on the points awarded, see the recommendation on the admission criteria for the joint application system.
A) Applicants admitted on the basis of the total of points for school performance and the entrance examination:
- applicants who have completed the Finnish matriculation examination
- applicants who have completed the IB-examination in a Finnish upper secondary school
- applicants who have completed the Reifeprüfung-examination
- applicants who have completed the EB-examination of European schools
The maximum total of admission points for those mentioned above is 100, out of which at most 30 points can be awarded for school performance and 70 points for the entrance examination. Applicants who are applying on the basis of their upper secondary school leaving certificate and the Finnish matriculation examination certificate are awarded points for three grades on their matriculation examination certificate: mother tongue, English and the best of either general studies or mathematics.
Applicants who are completing their Finnish matriculation examination during the application process apply with their latest upper secondary school certificate. The UAS will receive results of the matriculation examination directly from the Matriculation Examination Board. Applicants who are completing their IB-examination at a Finnish upper secondary school in the spring 2012 apply with their Predicted Grades. Applicants who are completing their Reifeprüfung-examination in the spring 2012 apply with a copy of their final certificate. Applicants who are completing their European Baccalaureate -examination in the spring 2012 apply with a copy of their temporary certificate. The admission of an applicant who is completing his/her EB- or IB-examination in a Finnish upper secondary school during application process is conditional until the applicant’s final certificate has been checked.
B) Applicants admitted on the basis of the entrance examination:
- applicants who are eligible to apply to university studies of applied sciences referred to in the Polytechnics Act (351/2003) not mentioned in section A above or whose eligibility to apply is based on non-Finnish qualifications.
- EU/EEA-citizens completing their qualifications outside Finland in the spring of applying.
The maximum total of entrance examination points is 100.
Selection between applicants with equal admission points
If there is a tie in admission points, the applicants will be ranked on the following criteria:
- the order of preference of the options indicated by the applicant in his/her joint application
- the result of the entrance examination
- the grade point average in all subjects
- points awarded for school performance
If the admission points are still tied after ranking applicants based on these criteria, the application system will automatically draw an applicant for selection.
The universities of applied sciences announce their admission results by 16 July 2013. Please allow the admissions process to run its course and wait for the publication of results. The admission is conditional until the UAS has checked the applicant’s school and other relevant certificates. The UAS may withdraw the admission, if the applicant has given false information.